Why choose Fletcher Maynard Academy?
FMA has several qualities that distinguish it from Cambridge's other excellent public options:
- Academic Excellence: FMA is committed to academic
excellence. FMA was recently ranked a Level I school by the
Massachusetts Department of Education for its success in closing the
achievement gap. in addition, it was ranked on boston.com's 15 top
"Dreamschools" with criteria that ranked diversity alongside academic
performance. Learn more >>
- Spanish Classes: FMA is the only Cambridge School other than Amigos to offer Spanish classes at the elementary level.
- The Extended Day: The eight hour day (every day
except Wednesday) allows students to receive instruction in a wide range
of subjects, from math an writing composition, to the Kodaly music
program which offers 4-day-a-week music instruction, to "extension
classes like soccer, piano and art. The extended day also allows time
for a double-recess period.
- Kodaly Music Program: FMA is one of the few
Cambridge elementary schools to offer music class four times a week.
Students display their talents at biannual concerts attended by family
members and friends.
- Principal Robin Harris: Principal Harris is the most experienced elementary school principal in Cambridge. She is widely recognized for her extraordinary vision and her dedication to her students and their progress.
- Educating Global Citizens: FMA is committed to
getting students to think globally from the start. In addition to
offering Spanish classes we celebrate our diversity through events
throughout the year that encourage international engagement. FMA also
organizes an annual international trip for interested students and their
families. In the past the school has traveled to England; Mexico; Costa
Rica; China; Italy; Dakar, Senegal, and Puerto Rico!
- Inclusion Model: The Inclusion model benefits not
only those students diagnosed with Autism Spectrum disorders, but all
students. The Inclusion model, supplemented by the annual Autism
Awareness Week, ensures that all students gain an awareness of
differences in learning patterns, while remaining attentive to all
- Diversity: Cambridge is an incredibly diverse
community, and ideally, each school should reflect that diversity. FMA
is one of the schools that most truly does so. Families come from over
40 countries. This high level of diversity is epitomized by the annual
International Dinner of Thanks held around Thanksgiving time.
- FMA Community Schools: This is one of our wonderful after school programs. The FMA Community School offers classes such as Lego Activity, Reader's Theater, Origami, Hip Hop, and even Step Dancing. The
Community School also works closely with the Area IV community,
organizing events such as the Annual Halloween Party and celebrations
for Haitian Independence Day.